- Since my office is my living room, the Olympics are always on TV.
- But, since I travel so much, I don't have cable or satellite; it is only NBC (my Netflix subscription keeps me entertained at home), so I have missed quite a number of sports which would be televised on related networks.
- I think there are 4,598 swimming events.
- Speaking of swimming, the USA men swimmers look a little chubby.......
- Nice to see the USA Volleyball women rally to beat the Netherlands.
- Helped that the Netherland's best passer went out with an ankle injury in game 4.
- Helped that the USA started getting their serves in late in the match.
- No matter the level, the team that wins the serve pass wins the match.
- I seriously thought this cyclist was killed when I saw it live...beyond scary; the Holland team said concussion and minor fractures.
- The USA Men's Volleyball team did not look good getting swept by Canada. CANADA!!!!!
- It is hard to watch men's volleyball, and I mean visual because the ball now travels so fast on serves and attacks/blocks that it is a blur. The FIVB needs to go to an all white or neon yellow ball (like tennis), so TV viewers can see it better. When the ball spins, the blue panels dominate on TV...I can't be the only person saying/seeing this..
- Luckily, the Men's loss was just to start pool play and there are many matches to come. Just like the collegiate season, it is not so much how you start but it is all about how you finish.
- They have diving with on person, and two people, when do they add three people? Trincronicity?
- While watching events, I am having flashbacks to the college football bowl games - Lots of hype on TV but the stands are half full. And I am watching only the 'popular' sports on NBC. I am guessing that the tickets are not cheap and with the Brazilian economy struggling, the locals must not be buying tickets.
- Friends of mine which are at Rio, have commented on Facebook that there are many opens seats at the volleyball venues.
- By the way, these are all the sports at the Rio Olympics;
- Archery (4 events - deer, turkey, bullseye and the presidential candidate which you do not support)
- Badminton (5 events)
- Basketball (2 events)
- Beach Volleyball (2 events - Kerri Walsh Jennings and then everyone else not named Kerri Walsh Jennings)
- Boxing (13 events)
- Canoe Slalom (4 events - Really.....)
- Canoe Sprint (12 events - Seriously...)
- Cycling BMX (2 events - Who let the X-Games into the Olympics?)
- Cycling Mountain Bike (2 events)
- Cycling Road (2 events)
- Cycling Track (10 events)
- Diving (8 events - As much as diving is on TV, I thought there were many more)
- Equestrian (6 events - Do the horses get their own medals?)
- Fencing (10 events - Never argue with someone who has a sword about Olympic viability).
- Field Hockey (2 events)
- Golf (2 events - I would say 2nd richest sport behind men's basketball - Are the USA Men's golfers staying on a luxury cruise ship for their Olympic experience?)
- Gymnastics (14 events - Dead heat for most tv time between swimming and gymnastics).
- Handball (2 events)
- Judo (2 events - Kung Fu is pissed)
- Marathon Swimming (2 events - Also known as discovering England... it is a Channel joke)
- Modern Pentathlon (2 events - Ancient Pentathlon was also known as Genghis Khan)
- Rhythmic Gymnastics (2 events)
- Rowing (14 events - stroke, stroke, stroke...are we there yet...stroke, stroke)
- Rugby Sevens (2 events - My call a friend sport for my first bar fight)
- Sailing (10 events - The final event is called discovering Hawaii).
- Shooting (15 events - But, Mr TSA, I swear this weapon is for the Olympics!)
- Soccer (2 events)
- Swimming (4,598 events....no, 32 events but seriously feels like 4,598 events!)
- Synchronized Swimming (2 events)
- Table Tennis (4 events and don't you dare call it Ping Pong!)
- Taekwando (8 events - Kung Fu is still pissed).
- Tennis (5 events - Had them as 3rd richest sport athletes behind golf).
- Track and Field (47 events - Which is an Olympic record for Olympic events at the Olympics)
- Trampoline (2 events - This can't really be a sport....)
- Triathlon (2 events - I seriously did not know this was a sport until I read it just now).
- Volleyball (2 events)
- Water Polo (2 events)
- Weightlifting (15 events - Thought there would have been more)
- Wrestling (18 events)
- Sports coming to the Tokyo Games.
- Skateboarding (not making this up)
- Sport Climbing (still not making this up)
- Karate (Kung Fu is seriously pissed now!)
- Surfing (I love surfing, but still not making this up)
- Speaking of the Tokyo games, I make a motion that Opening Ceremonies should just be one big concert after the athletes walk in and then a Disneyworld on New Year's Eve sized fireworks display.
- After the Beijing Olympic's Opening Ceremonies, nothing else can compare and they have recently bordered on plain confusing. What the heck were those skeletor type bugs walking around in Rio? Or that very angry lumberjack reciting angry poetry in Calgary?
- Men's beach volleyball looks like they are playing short court - The players are huge and the court is small.
- There should be a gold medal for the best hug in each sport - It is definitely the Hug Olympics at the Olympics.
- Someone at NBC tell Ryan Seacrest to finish talking before he runs off the stage! Is he late for a date? I know from experience the restaurants and bars stay open much later in Rio than the US.
Recruiting, NCAA Rules and Terms, Trends, Opinions - Information that you need to know.
August 11, 2016
My Rio Olympic Thoughts
The Rio Olympics....so far, so good...the gloom and doom concerns with facilities, health, crime, etc. has not yet occurred and let's hope that it does not!
Posted by The Coach
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment
Please stay positive or at the minimum present constructive criticism - Negative comments or attacks upon other reader's opinions will not be posted.